Monday, October 9, 2017

It's Like a Honeymoon but with 60,000 Brand New Love-of-my-Lifes

Love of my Lifes?  Is 'lifes' a word?  Or should it be lives?  That doesn't seem right.  I only have one life, but a whole village of new loves.

Loves of my Life.  That's it.

I have watched a bajillion videos of people in Togo.  Right now I think they are the most beautiful people in the world and I want to know all about them.  What they eat, where they live, what music they like, what makes them laugh, what they call their grandmas.  Everything.  What are they afraid of?  What breaks their hearts?  What are their hopes and dreams?  Yes, I have romanticized this trip a little bit and I am not ashamed.

This is the part where all you seasoned missionary types roll your eyes at me and say, "Awww, that's so cute.  But how will you feel when you find out these 60,000 new loves-of-your-life snore all night and squeeze the toothpaste in the middle?"

Loving people is hard.  I get it.

But I don't care.  Honeymoons are important.  They're where we build bonds and shared memories that see us through ugly arguments about money and in-laws.  While God may love us perfectly despite our wholly unloveable selves, we are not so good at loving each other that way.  Romance is a gift that helps us love each other better.

So I'm going to pray and study and prepare for this trip as best I can, but I'm also going to gaze at your picture and wonder what you're thinking.  I can't wait to come to your wild and beautiful country and meet you.

I hope that my crazy romanticized honeymoon love makes you see yourself the way Christ sees you... as His Bride.

Oh, and just so we're all upfront about everything, I squeeze from the middle.


For as a young man marries a young woman, 
so shall your sons marry you, 
and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, 
so shall your God rejoice over you.  

Isaiah 62:5




If you have stumbled onto my blog and are wondering, "What the heck is this chick talking about?" start here and work your way forward.  There is logic in this madness, I promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment