Saturday, October 4, 2014

31 Lessons from 31 Women: Martha, part 2

So I may have been re-reading yesterday's post looking for typos (because I've seen y'all mock people's grammar on Facebook) when I saw something that was so good, I had to come share it with you.  We are going to have another visit with Ms. Martha this morning.

Let's read part of her story again:

Jesus continued from there toward Jerusalem and came to another village.  Martha, a resident of that village, welcomed Jesus into her home.  Her sister Mary, went and sat at Jesus' feet, listening to Him teach.  Meanwhile Martha was anxious about all the hospitality arrangements.   Luke 10:38-40

Whoa.  She invited Jesus into her home and then kept right on worrying and doing all the same things she'd always done.

Mmmm.... I had to chew that one for a while.  And it was hard to swallow.  I might have done that too, Martha.  Once.  Or twice.  Ok, everyday.  For like the past ten years.

There are so many verses that I could quote here, verses about not being anxious about anything and how Jesus' burden is light.  Or dying to self and submitting to God's authority.  But what I want to tell you about is the power we have in the Holy Spirit.

The Father is sending a great Helper, the Holy Spirit, in My name to teach you everything and to remind you of all I have said to you.    John 14:26

Only two days ago, I was telling my husband that I wished I could hire a mother's helper for just one day a week.  She could tutor the boy while I run errands and make phone calls.  I could get bills paid on time and go to the grocery store by myself.  I could finish a whole shower without anyone asking me for anything.

Now imagine an even better mother's helper, one who would "...teach me everything and remind me of all..."  That's like having Mary Poppins in my house, guiding me through every single step of this wife and mother business every single day.  I would be all over that.  I certainly wouldn't ignore her- no ma'am.  That would be crazy!  I'd ask her so many questions, Mary Poppins would think she had three Beverlys on her!

And yet here I sit with a helper better than even Mary Poppins, a helper ready and willing to teach me everything I need to know and remind me of all the things that Jesus said.  I have this wonderful helper, but most days, I don't even stop long enough to hear to what He has to say.  

I'm just like Martha.


So here's the part that's tough to swallow:  stopping to hear the Holy Spirit is a choice we make.  So no matter the circumstance, no matter the baby crying or the in-laws coming or the looming deadline at work.  No matter how many unforeseen disasters strike, no matter how many balls we have we put in the air, we are responsible for making the choice to listen or not.  <Gulp>

By the way, when you listen, you'll probably hear this:

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.   2Cor 9:8

All grace.  All sufficiency.  All things.  At all times.  Because He loves you.




No comments:

Post a Comment