Thursday, April 4, 2013

Graceless Places




...and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.   Isaiah 61:3

Some mountains rise from the earth in violence, ripping, burning and pushing their way to life.  Others are eroded from what was, washed again and again until they are worn into greatness.

Over time, struggle and relentlessness are ordered to rest.  Mt. Everest is not a pile of charred rocks.  The Grand Canyon is not a river of mud.  What makes the difference between destruction and splendor?

The difference is grace.

“...in pain you will give birth....”  Gen 3:16



Pain gives way.  Splendor brings with it a new brow to kiss, soft with newborn skin and not yet furrowed by life.  Wanting only to be fed.  Wanting only to be held.  

Wanting only grace. 

If God were here in flesh, I would sit at His feet and lay my head on his lap.

I would tell him that I sent my heart, my greatest gift, into the world and they despised it.

And he would say I know.  They despised mine too.

Anger grows in a graceless place.  The only way to sooth it is to give it the grace it needs.  But today I have no grace.

It's ok.  My grace is sufficient.  Let me purge the venom from your snakebitten heart.  It will take time.  And it will be painful.  But it will be worth it.

If that’s what it takes Lord, then wash me.  Again and again and again.  Living water and cleansing blood, hollow me out and carve grace into my graceless places.

No comments:

Post a Comment